Barret's Chapel School

"Believing, Caring, Succeeding"

10280 Godwin Road Arlington, TN 38002

Phone (901) 416-0325

Fax (901) 416-0321

 

Our Mission

 

The mission of Barret's Chapel School is to ensure a strong educational foundation that empowers students to become life-long learners and citizens of high moral character

 

  Believing

Caring

           Succeeding

 

 

______________________

______________________

 

Beliefs

 

• We believe that all students can learn and will model the importance of life-long learning through our ongoing professional development.

 

• We will hold high expectations for student achievement and character, and will guide students to make responsible choices for their lives and learning process.

 

• We will develop curriculum and instructional strategies that utilize various resources which will promote active involvement of students, provide for their varied experiences, as well as individual abilities and talents.

 

• We are committed to ensuring that all students engage in maximum learning opportunities.

 

• We are committed to ensuring that all students learn in a safe, positive and nurturing environment.

 

______________________

______________________

History

In the late 1870s, residents of the area petitioned Henry Thomas, Director of Shelby County Schools, for a local school to accommodate the African-American children in the community. Jane Haynes donated land just northeast from current school location and the new school was named Hayes Grove School. It was the first school in Shelby County to have an eighth-grade graduation exercise for African-American children.

In the 1920s, the community petitioned J.H. Barret for better buildings and more contributions to the school. In 1922, the current land was purchased and an eight-room building with an auditorium was built for 12 grades. The first senior class graduated in 1929. The school's name was then changed to Barret's Chapel.

A fire destroyed much of the school in the spring of 1960 so a new cafeteria, gym and elementary buildings were built and completed in 1961.

After the desegregation of schools, the last senior class graduated from Barret's Chapel in 1971. The school was returned to a K-8 program.

 

SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOLS OFFERS EDUCATIONAL AND EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEX, CREED, AGE, OR DISABILITY.

 

SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOLS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR QUESTIONABLE OR CONTROVERSIAL CONTENT FOUND THROUGH LINKS EXTERNAL TO THIS SITE

BARRET'S CHAPEL SCHOOL © 2014 all rights reserved.