|Shelby County Board of Education |
|Return to Index
Issued Date: 08/26/10
BOARD OFFICERS AND DUTIES
The Board shall elect, at its first regular meeting following the election of
new members and annually thereafter, one of its members to serve as chairman
and one to serve as vice-chairman. The term of the newly elected Board chairman
shall commence at the conclusion of the regular meeting in September. The Superintendent
of schools serves as secretary to the board at all meetings.
Duties of the Chairman:
- Preside at all meetings of the board;
- Appoint committees authorized by the board;
- Serve as chair of the executive committee; and
- Countersign all warrants authorized by the board of education and issued by the superintendent for all expenditures of the school system.
Duties of the Vice-Chairman:
In the absence of the chairman, the vice-chairman presides at the meeting and
shall have all the powers of the chairman other than signing warrants and payroll
If the chairman and vice-chairman are absent at a meeting at which a
quorum is present, the ranking member present in terms of continuous service
on the board shall preside.
Duties of the Secretary:
- Provide adequate notice of all board meetings;
- Prepare the agenda; and
- Keep or cause to be kept, complete and accurate minutes of all meetings of the Board.
In the event of death or incapacity of the chairman, an election will be held to select a new chairman. The vice-chairman shall assume all duties during the interim.