|Shelby County Board of Education |
|Return to Index
Issued Date: 03/31/11
CODE OF CONDUCT
The Board commits itself and its members to ethical, businesslike
and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and appropriate decorum
when acting as Board members.
- Board members will represent
the interests of the citizens of the entire school district. This accountability
to the whole district supersedes, as examples, but is not limited to:
conflicting loyalty a member may have to other advocacy or interest
- loyalty based upon membership on other boards or staffs;
- conflicts based
upon the personal interest of any Board member who is also a parent
of a student in the district;
- conflicts based upon being a relative of an employee of
the district; or
- conflicts based upon the member's election from a subsection
of the district.
- Board members may not attempt to exercise individual authority
over the organization.
- Members' interaction with the Superintendent and
with staff must recognize the lack of authority vested in individuals
except when explicitly authorized by the Board.
- Members' interaction with the public,
press or other entities must recognize the same limitation and the inability
of any Board member to speak for the Board except to repeat explicitly-stated
- Members will not publicly express individual negative judgments
about Superintendent or staff performance outside the formal evaluation
process. Any such judgments of Superintendent or staff performance will
be made only by the full Board.
- Members shall maintain confidentiality appropriate to
sensitive issues and information that otherwise may tend to compromise the
integrity or legal standing of the board.