|Student Sites||Peabody Elementary||Teacher Sites|
Michelangelo was one of the greatest artists the world has ever known. Born March 6, 1475 in Caprese, Italy, he and Leonardo da Vinci did much to cause the Italian Renaissance. He died at the age of 89 years old in 1654. He was a Famous and sculptor of the Renaissance period. His paintings were realistic and he used dark color. Most of his artwork consisted of paintings of people, fresco paintings, and statues. His first love was sculpture. His most famous painting was the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
1. With what word has Michelangelo's name become synonymous?
2. When and where was Michelangelo born?
3. How did his father react when he told him he wanted to be an artist?
4. Suppose you were Michelangelo. How would feel if you were Michelangelo?
5. Which large-scale sculpture was the first one he produced?
Locate the following site to answer the above questions:
1. Between what years was the Sistine Chapel built?
2. In what year was Michelangelo commissioned by the Pope to repaint the ceiling?
3. What did Michelangelo paint over the altar?
4. How was he able to paint and work on such a tall ceiling?
5. How did he prepare for this enormous work, the Sistine Chapel?
Locate the following site and answer the above questions:
Visit to the Sistine Chapel in Vatican
1. What was this sculpture made of? Why do you think he chose
2. How tall was the sculpture of David? Why do you think the statue was as large as it was?
3. If you were Michelangelo, what would you use as a model for your state? What kind of materials would you use and why would you use those materials?
Locate the following site to answer the above questions.
WebMuseum - Michelangelo
Be sure your name is on your paper.
We hope you have enjoyed your web adventure.