The Shelby County Board of Education is partnering with SchoolSeed to raise money for families with outstanding utility bills during the virtual learning period. The SCS Board Cares Utility Assistance Fund will allow qualifying SCS families to receive grant money to pay MLGW bills and prevent utilities from being disconnected. The one-time grant, funded by private donations, will help prevent students from missing important virtual instruction.
To qualify for the SCS Board Cares Utility Assistance Fund, parents must meet the following requirements:
- Have a disconnect notice from MLGW for the current billing cycle
- Be the legal guardian of a child or children currently enrolled in an SCS school
- The child or children reside(s) with you full time
- The address on record for the student with SCS must match the address on account with MLGW
- MLGW bill must be in your name
Parents must submit an application on the SchoolSeed website to receive the grant.
SchoolSeed will verify information with SCS and MLGW and notify applicants of their status within five days. The maximum grant amount is $200. If approved, the funds will be sent directly to MLGW to be credited to the applicants account. If approved and funds are not immediately available, applicants will be placed on a waiting list.