Frequently Asked Questions

A A+ A-


  1. Who is my assigned advisor?
    • OPS Advisors are assigned per the attached chart.  If you have questions, please contact them.  Click (here).
  2. What are the steps for progressive discipline?
    • Please see the progressive discipline guide (here).
  3. I have a question about progressive discipline. Who do I reach out to?
    • Please contact your OPS Advisor.  You can find your assigned advisor (here).
    • Please see the employee discipline referral portal (Click here).
  4. What is the process for making a disciplinary referral?
    • Click (here)
    • Enter your username and password.
    • Read the ‘Memo’ and click “continue”
    • Click on “New Case Intake”
    • Search for the employee you are referring
    • Once you find the employee’s name, click “New”
    • Most of the fields should auto populate.  Once you complete the remaining required fields, click “Submit.”
    • Once submitted, our office automatically receives notice and will follow up accordingly.
    • There is no need to contact our office separately.  
  5. What is the turnaround time for a disciplinary referral? 
    • Most investigations can be completed in 20 business days or less.  If there are extenuating circumstances that would cause the investigation to take longer than 20 business days, we will notify you. 
  6. What is the difference between a complaint and a grievance?
    • A complaint is defined as a “general expression of dissatisfaction/concern with an employment related issue.”
    • A grievance is defined as a “complaint concerning an alleged violation or misapplication of any specific provision of the memorandum of understanding, board policy, and/or local, state, and law. 
  7. How do I file a complaint or grievance?
    • Please submit a complaint by completing this (form).
    • Please submit a grievance by completing this (form).
    • A quick reference guide can be found (here). 
  8. I want to transfer to a different location. How do I do that?
    • Generally, transfers are not granted outside the transfer period.  If there are extenuating circumstances, you may request an administrative adjustment by clicking (here) and submitting your completed form to [email protected].
    • The administrative adjustment committee will review your request and follow up accordingly. 
  9. How do I make an ADA accommodation request?
    • You may request ADA accommodations (here). ADA accommodation requests are made through the employee portal.  
  10. What is the process for an ADA accommodation?
    • Once you have submitted your ADA accommodation request, our office will work with you to determine what accommodations are necessary and what the District can reasonably provide. 
  11. I already have documentation from my physician regarding my request for accommodations.  What do I need to do?
    • You will be able to upload any documentation.
    • Our office will review your documentation and request any additional information that is necessary.
  12. What is EAP assistance, and how do I receive it?
    • Please find information about the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) here.
    • You can schedule an appointment by calling 901-683-5658, or toll free 800-880-5658. 
  13. Does this office handle FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) issues?
    • No.  FMLA requests are handled by the benefits department.  Please click (here) for more information.
  14. How do I submit a records request?
    • If you would like to review your labor file, please email [email protected]. We will schedule a time for your review your labor file in our office.
    • Requests to view personnel files or any other records, can be made by contacting employee services at [email protected].  
  15. I want to make an anonymous report about something I saw.  How do I do that?
    • Please click (here). 
  16. I have an unemployment question, who can I reach out to?
    • Please contact your assigned staffing advisor or OPS Advisor.
2020-21 Shelby County Schools