Shelby County Schools offers long-term disability administered by MetLife.
- Full-time permanent employees (working 30 hours or more per week) may enroll in coverage within 30 days of their hire date (30 days for a re-hire).
- Enrollment must be completed online at https://www.mybentek.com/scs
- Coverage is effective the first day of the month after the completion of 30 days of employment.
- Employees who do not enroll for coverage when first hired by SCS, must complete an online Medical History Statement before coverage is effective.
Voluntary long term disability provides monthly income protection in the event that an employee becomes disabled. Information on the benefit, waiting period, and exclusions are provided below.
- Your monthly benefit will be 60% of your insured pre-disability earnings.
- Plan Maximum Monthly Benefit: $5,000
- Plan Minimum Monthly Benefit: $100 or 10% of the LTD benefit before reduction by deductible income, whichever is greater.
- Benefits Waiting Period: If your claim for LTD benefits is approved by The Standard, benefits become payable after you have been continuously disabled for 180 days and remain continuously disabled. Benefits are not payable during the benefit waiting period.
- Pre-existing Condition Exclusion: Treatment for an illness or injury 90 days prior to your insurance effective date will be excluded from coverage for a period of 12 months.
- If you become insured, you will receive a group insurance certificate containing a detailed description of the insurance coverage.