A- A A+


Shelby County Schools now offers the HiSET exam, a high school equivalency test that is an alternative to the GED test.

May I give donated equipment away to students, employees, parents?

No. Once equipment is donated to a department or a school, it becomes the property of MSCS. The school or department must then follow all property accountability procedures for the retirement of the equipment.

What is the procedure if I need to send computer and/or audio-visual equipment back to the manufacturer/vendor for a warranty replacement?

School staff and/or central office personnel must enter a work order into Footprints for technology and a school tech will be assigned to assess the equipment. The designee must notify the Office of Asset Management (OAM), so the bar code label can be removed before the computer equipment is sent back. When the replacement equipment comes in, OAM must be notified to assign a barcode label to the replacement and make the appropriate changes to the inventory database of the school or department.

What is a Fixed Asset?

MSCS property with a useful life greater than one year that meets any of the following criteria:

  • All capitalized equipment with a cost equal to, or greater than $5,000 All sensitive equipment with a cost or value greater than $100 • All donated equipment.

What do I do if a fixed asset is stolen?

Stolen MSCS property should be immediately reported to the Department Head, Principal and/or Budget Center Manager (BCM) who notifies:

  • Security: 901.416.5773
  • Memphis Police Department for file a police report.
  • Risk Management: 901.416.5455 and complete the Online Theft Report https://onlinetheft.scsk12.org/
  • Office of Asset Management: 901.416.2830, email: [email protected], fax 901.416.9964

What happens to the technology that Inventory Control’s personnel picks up from schools?

If there is useful life left in the technology equipment, the equipment will be reallocated back into the District through available assets. 

Who approves the removal of excess/disposal equipment from their site?

The Inventory designee can create the request by completing an Asset Disposition Form to include a description, MSCS asset tag number, serial number, and manufacturer however, the principal or BCM must approve and declare equipment as excess. All excess equipment earmarked for disposal must be placed stagged neatly in a centralized area on the first floor of the building. 

Who is responsible for appointing a designee/representative to be responsible for tracking their assets at a school/admin site level?

The Department Head, Principal, Director, Manager, BCM, etc. is responsible for designating key personnel for tracking equipment at a school site and/or administrative office.

How often should I conduct a physical inventory?

Each school and administrative site is required to conduct a wall-to-wall physical inventory every year of all equipment assigned to their respective site. Asset Management will notify your site when to begin your physical inventory. All discrepancies must be reported to Asset Management.

If a school is closing, can I label equipment/furniture to be transferred to my school site?

No, all school sites must submit a request to Asset Management and Information Technology regarding technology and/or Central Warehousing for furniture. The school site receiving students from the closing site has first priority to all contents of the building.


C19TV 88.5FM