A A+ A-

Is my teaching experience credited automatically for salary placement on the teacher salary schedule?

No. You must send the teaching experience verification form to your previous employer(s), who then must complete the form and return it to your Memphis-Shelby County Schools HR Staffing Advisor. In addition, if you have private school experience, you must submit proof of state certification. Staffing will determine your step placement up to a maximum credit of 10 years for prior experience.


Will I receive an increase in my base pay annually?

All annual increases must be approved by the Board of Education on a yearly basis.


Are degrees issued by foreign universities and colleges recognized?

Yes, if they are evaluated by a recognized foreign credential evaluation service as being the equivalent of a degree issued by a regionally accredited United States college or university. If the degree meets this standard, it can then be considered for advanced degree pay.


At my prior district I was eligible for the career ladder stipend. Will I be eligible for the career ladder stipend when I transfer to SCS?

Career Ladder recipients who have transferred from another accredited district may still be eligible to receive the bonus upon hire. Please work with your Human Resource Advisor during the onboarding process to confirm eligibility.


What is the FLSA and how does it impact my work time? 

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is a federal law governing important employment topics, such as minimum wage and overtime eligibility. Based on FLSA regulation, non-exempt employees are entitled to receive overtime pay or time off for all hours worked beyond 40 hours per week. Overtime is calculated based on time and a half of the employee’s regular hourly rate, or time and a half of the time worked beyond 40 hours. Exempt employees are not eligible to receive overtime pay or time off.      


What does “non-exempt” mean? 

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), non-exempt is a job category in which employees must receive overtime or compensatory time when they work more than 40 hours in a work week. Employers must abide by that federal law, which is enforced by the U.S. Department of Labor. The FLSA designates which jobs are “exempt” from overtime compensation based on minimum salary levels and job duties. Employers must follow the FLSA’s guidelines in creating both non-exempt and exempt jobs. The law requires that non-exempt employees receive overtime pay or compensatory time off for all hours worked over 40 in a work week. Overtime pay must be at a rate of 1.5 times the employee’s regular rate of pay. Compensatory time off must be at a rate of 1.5 hours of compensatory time for each hour of overtime work. 


What is the process for an employee to request a salary review? 

All requests for salary reviews must first be approved by the direct Manager and Department Chief for Central Office employees. Official requests for such reviews must be received from the direct Manager via email to the Office of Compensation. 


My employment began after the start of the current fiscal year. Why isn't my paycheck/HRIS record reflecting my full annual base pay amount?  

At the time of start, your salary may be prorated based on the number of days you will actually be employed during the current fiscal year as a new hire or as an incumbent in a new role. The fiscal year begins on 7/1; therefore, if an employee begins after this date, his or her salary will be reflected as the remaining balance of the total base salary that he or she will receive for the remainder of that fiscal year. 


How is my salary determined when transitioning from a teacher or school-based position to Central Office? 

To determine the pay rate for an individual moving from a teaching/administrator position to a classified position, HR Compensation will use the following process:

  • Assess minimum qualifications for the classified position
  • Review candidate’s education and experience
  • Determine appropriate years of experience for recognition based on relevancy of the experience
  • Set pay within the appropriate pay range according to recognized experience and a review of the budget and internal equity

Is the District offering hazardous pay? 

No, the district is not offering hazardous pay. 


I did not receive a stipend for which I believe I am eligible for. Who do I contact?

For stipends or other supplements administered by the school, please contact the school's Financial Secretary. For any supplements administered by a Central Office designee, you may contact the Department Executive/Administrative Assistant. 


My vacation accrual is not accurate. Who do I contact? 

Please contact the HR Employee Services Office at [email protected].


Who do I contact regarding my step increase/annual base salary increase? 

Step/pay increases are not automatic and are instead dependent upon an annual review of available funding and other factors. Decisions regarding pay increases will be announced annually after final consideration. 


I am contemplating obtaining my National Board Certification. Who can I contact regarding this process? 

The process is available here. Also, if you have further questions about the process, please contact the HR Office of Compensation [email protected].


How can I be promoted or considered for a more advanced role?

All employees are encouraged to review the job boards often to apply for available positions that may aid in progressing them in their career. 


Are National Board Certified Teachers compensated for having the NBCT certification? 

Yes. Please refer to the Supplemental Pay tab for additional information.


How do I get started with obtaining my National Board Certification? 

Please click here for instructions.


How do I get started with obtaining my National Board Certification during COVID? 

Please click here for instructions. 


What is the process for renewing my National Board Certification?

Please click here for instructions. 


Does SCS recognized Career Ladder certified employees? 

Yes, the Career Ladder certification is recognized for teachers, educators in dual positions and teaching principals. Employees within the designated eligibility areas shall be eligible to receive career ladder payments until retirement.  Please refer to the Supplemental Pay tab for additional information. 


For general questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

2024 Memphis-Shelby County Schools