Shelby County Schools

School Parental Involvement Activities

Updated for 2012-2013


Here are just some of ways you can become involved at Double Tree Elementary School:

  • Act as a classroom helper
  • Mentor or tutor students
  • Volunteer to assist with our morning and afternoon drop-off and pick-up procedures
  • Help children with special needs
  • Help organize, cater, or work at fundraising activities such as Gift Wrap, Spaghetti dinner, and/or the Book Fair
  • Act as a lunchroom or playground monitor
  • Help plan and chaperone in-school events (i.e., class parties, programs, etc.)
  • Help to chaperone field trips and other events that take place off-campus
  • Work as a library assistant
  • Volunteer to read to classes
  • Send in items for parties, special events, etc.
  • Supervise or judge experiments for the Think Show
  • Volunteer to speak in a classroom for career day
  • Assist with class projects (i.e., sewing costumes, building sets, helping with arts and crafts, etc.)
  • Help the school administrators prepare grant proposals, letter-writing campaigns, or press releases
  • Attend GPA, School Board meetings and Title 1 Parent Seminars at the TLA
  • Serve as school representative for PACE (Parent and Community Engagement)
  • Serve on the Leadership Council
  • Organize or assist with a specific club or interest group (i.e., chess club)

Remember that not everyone is suited for the same type of involvement. You may have to “try on” a number of different activities before you find something that feels right for you. If you are at a loss for how you can help, just ask your child’s teacher, school administrators and the GPA officers and members. We are all happy to help you find “your fit”!


 Memphis City Schools does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color,

religion,national origin, handicap/disability, sex or age.

Shelby County Schools does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, handicap/disability, sex, or age.  For more information, please contact the Office of Equity Compliance at (901) 416-6670.
Shelby County Schools homepage