Web Site Design Tips for SCS Webmasters
Introduction - Planning
Purpose - Structure
- Basic Web Site
Design - Navigation
Place Content - Update
Updating Your Web Site
Update the site regularly. Visitors are looking for timely
information and will stop coming to your site if they keep finding information
which is months (or years) old. Pages containing announcements, calendars,
and newsletters will be the areas requiring updating most frequently.
Remember that all updates to your school's web site must be approved by
your principal. Here is the correct procedure for getting your update posted
online by the SCS webmater.
- Place your entire folder into the appropriate school folder on the "Web
- Load your main web page into the browser of your choice.
- Visit the pages you have modified. Verify all new links are working. If
you had to change any file extensions or remove spaces or special characters,
you may have links to repair.
- Make certain the page appears as you wish. It is a good idea to check your
site in a variety of browsers. Your site may appear drastically different
in different browsers.
- After you are certain the site is ready for online publication, get the
approval from your principal. Some principals will want to view every update,
some may not. If they wish to view your update, direct them to the "Web
Uploads" server so they may access the files. The quickest way to get
your site online is to email your principal. You may copy the text below and
paste it into your email. Follow it with a listing of the pages that have
been modified. You may choose to copy that information from your "What's
Request for Update of (School's name) Web Site:
(name of principal),
Please forward this email to Debby Carrico (SCS Webmaster - email@example.com)
signifying your approval of the most recent web site update.
(list the information updated here)
Name of Home Page: (name the file for your home page)
- Your principal can simply type "Approved" and forward it on to
Debby. She can then get your site from the server and get it online.
- Updates should be limited to one set of updates per week.